From Johnson County Supervisor Rod Sullivan’s weekly email blast comes this factoid:
Taxpayers in Johnson County, Iowa will pay $191.3 million for total Iraq war spending approved to date.
For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:
- 57,241 People with Health Care for One Year OR
- 215,208 Homes with Renewable Electricity for One Year OR
- 4,572 Public Safety Officers for One year OR
- 31,176 Scholarships for University Students for One Year or
- 2,380 Affordable Housing Units OR
- 4,282 Elementary School Teachers for One Year.
That is correct – those figures are the cost for Johnson County alone!
I’m sure there’s play either way in those numbers, but as a tool of perspective I think it says volumes.